HOW TO DYE WOOL, NYLON & SILK FIBRES
PLEASE READ THE SAFETY DATA SHEET THAT ACCOMPANIES THE PRODUCT BEFORE STARTING
Please note that FastColours do not give any guarantee on the quality and performance of the dyeing achieved as the process is outside the control of the company. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that they understand the risks involved in carrying out this process and that FastColours LLP do not have any subsequent liability. Please contact the company if in doubt.
Dyeing is reasonably straight forward. The following is a general guideline of how to dye these fibres. Recommended Safety Precautions: Safety spectacles, gloves, dust mask, lab coat/apron must be worn when handling dyes and chemicals.
If you are not sure, please contact the company for additional advice.
Dye Preparation (applicable for all fibres)
- Weigh the dry fabric to be dyed.
- The amount dye needed is a percentage of the weight of fabric/article. For light shades you would need about 0.5%, medium shades 1% to 2% and for darker shades 3% or more.
- Weigh the dye out.
a) Make a paste using cold water
b) Add hot water to this paste whilst stirring
c) Continue to stir until the dye is fully dissolved
d) Allow to cool
e) The dye is now ready to use
Dyeing of Wool, Nylon (Polyamide) & Silk
- The dyebath needs to be acidic. Use 1ml/l of Acetic Acid 80%, if not available, use clear vinegar 15ml/l instead.
- Add the Acetic Acid/vinegar and Dye to the dyebath - Mix well.
- Raise the temperature to 40°C.
- Add the fabric/article to the dyebath.
- Raise the temperature to 95°C (Silk 85°C) over about 15–20 minutes. Circulate the dye liquor gently if possible.
- Hold at 95°C (Silk 85°C) over about 15–30 minutes. Circulate the dye liquor gently if possible.
- Cool to 70°C. Circulate the dye liquor gently if possible.
- Give a warm rinse with water for 8-10 minutes. Circulate the rinse liquor gently.